Monday, April 12, 2010

Dinner with the Outlaws

I will do my dead level best to recount events as I remember them. I was born a poor black child.....no no wait, thats a different story. My dear dear sweet son-in-law Pete invited Nancy and myself to his birthday party which was to be held at Dickies BBQ in Arlington at 6 pm saturday the 10th. Nancy and I had been out on the motor bike for a good part of the day and I usually feel some what immortal after a nice ride. A bad day riding is always better than a good day working. Back to the birthday. Pete did qualify his invitation with the information that Jeanene and her parents were also on the guest list for said party. I am not afraid. Nancy and I showed up a 6 on the dot. Everything was fine up to that point. Its fair to say we entered the building with out event but things took an immediate left turn once our arrival became known. I find the birthday group off at a table by themselves and do a quick head count. Friends Jason,Jana, Tara. Family was as follows: Pete, Tiffney, Adam & Tanae.....and the ex father-out-law and ex mother-out-law aka John and Cleta.
No Jeanene. What a surprise. Perhaps she was running late tonight. We enter and the expression on Cletas face went from "I'm Queen of the World to Who the hell invited him??........and HER!!! At this point it was clear that Pete had proofed his guest list with me but none of the other invites. Personally I was hoping for a civil interaction with the former extended family but they would not have any of that. Seeing as how my baby girl Tanae is due with her first born on July 2nd and allllll of us will be seeing ALOT of each other at the birth!!
Well Cleta said "This...This...This wont work" Then she blamed Tiffney, called her an ass and walked out the door with her john in tow. Tanae, God bless her being the peace keeper that she is left the room, called her mom and reported the sequence of events. Jeanene extended her proxy birthday wish via Tanae but was called away at the last moment and wouldnt be able to attend. Damn shame she was running late this particular day and missed all the fun. Well back to the party. Adam told pete that he was selfish and if I remember correctly he called him a "douche" before he went to get his food. That was an awkward moment for the rest of the group. Anyhow everything after that was fairly uneventful. I did seat Nancy and myself in the outlaws chairs as they had taken the time to warm up them up with their hineys before they left. I really had hoped everyone could put on their big person panties and just get along. Life is what it is. Things are what they are. Cant be changed. Get over it and be mature about things. Did anybody consider the fact that acting out that way they are only hurting the ones that love them? Calling Tiffney an ass certainly is not a very endearing term. Heres the deal. My son-in-law Pete loves his entire family. John, Cleta, & ME & my Wife. He wanted us at his party cause we are his family too. Cant anybody figure out that this was about Pete and not them? I consider this behavior a tad on the selfish side. Its sad that it permeates every day relationships to the degree that they cant be "grown ups" for an hour to honor someones birthday. Let the one with out sin cast the first stone.

2 comments:

  1. Yup.....seems some people forgot what the party was all about.....PETE! Hope you all had a good time after the drama was over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forget to tell you that Greg is coming to the the baby shower. Make sure you wear your big person panties. If not, I still have some of dad's adult pull ups :)

    ReplyDelete