Monday, April 19, 2010

Happy Anniversary to ME

WOW!!! Can it be a year already? I took my lovely wife Nancy to the tourist trap of Granbury TX for a overnighter at one of the local B&B's. It's really a quaint little town and kinda romantic. Now it does have more than its share of texas pretentious blue hairs wandering the streets with a male counter part in tow practicing the appropiate 2 to 3 steps in her shadow. Thats another story. Lets focus on the occasion at hand. Friday the 16th was our 1 year anniversary!!! What a wonderful thing. The weather was a little dicey for my liking but when Nancy asked me how to dress I said "live large baby, put on your leathers!!" so off we went with minimal belongings and maximum motor-scooter!! It was fantastic!! We went down route 4 from Cleburne to Granbury with all its twist and turns and scenery. Its not a very long ride from here (about an hour) but its always one of my favorite roads especially on a long day when I can venture further out to Mineral Wells then Possum Kingdom. With an early start we had plenty of time to do some of the tourist stuff. Right now we have been visiting local Texas wineries and there just so happends to be two in Granbury. Check in at the B&B and on with the tour. The first being the Barking Rocks winery. Yes thats right, Barking Rocks.
As the story goes per the proprietor of the vinyard the farm was once owned by Helen Knox. She with her I supposed sense of glory had her initials inset in the side of the stone walled barn signifying her leadership. Well according to his story he couldnt ever decide on a name for his wines and vines. Enter excessive alcohol intake here. He recounts that after a nght of very excessive drinking with his friends that the stone initials also looked like a dog barking.....hmmmm barking rocks? BARKING ROCKS!!! YES THATS IT!!!!! Sobriety came but the name stuck. For his wines I must say they were a little dry for me. The reds were dry. The rose's were dry. The whites were dry. Me thinks he is a fan of the dry wine. Did you know that red wines are really clear? Let me explain. Red grape juice is clear. They process the red grapes with the skin ON to give it its color. If it were processed like a white wine with no skin on the grape it would be just as clear. Things that make you go..........HHmmmmmmmmmmmmm
On to the next winery. De'Vine Wine in the town square. Sounds a little touristypreppyishyuppyfied doesn't it. Turns out the franchise is owned by a juice company in CA. They had it alllll. Great wines, great pesto, meat, cheese and cracker plate. Great service and a great port wine. Very sweet. All that wine tasting makes a couple hungry so off we went in search of sustinance. Hanks grill here. Food was good. Our server did need a little education on how to perform his job and I was more than happy to accomidate him. What is the first thing a server is supposed to do upon my arrval to a table? Anybody?? Hi, my name is ________. I'll be your server today. Can I start you off with some pickle projectors or maybe some freedom fries? You get my point. Give me a name!!!! At the close of the meal he brought me my change. A $1, a $5 and a $10 bill. That really doesn't leave me much choice on a tip does it? I can promise you that the $10 was out at this point in our relationship. I carefully explained the value of giving me variety regarding my choices of currency and how this CAN AND WILL have a direct affect on his financial well being and future economic status. Onward. Back at the B&B for a little break. Our B&B came with its very own onsite inn keeper. She was available pretty much all the time. Nice girl, Melinda was her name. The inn was a queen ann build of about 120years old and nicely redone. Each room was themed with an era. Ours was the colonels room. Military memorabilia from 1890ish thru WW1. Some cool stuff. Oh, by the way, if anyone desires to get into the B&B business this one is for sale at the low low price of $339K. This bargin price does include the contents and a web site. Inn keeper is optional.
That night we ate at a little place called The Loft. Dinner ran about $70 and for the selection seemed worth it. I enjoyed the chicken scalopini while my beautiful bride selected the roast duck, mmmmmmmmm. She always picks goood.
All done for the night. Now the rain comes....and it rains and it rains and it rains and it rains. Hello morning...and it rains. Breakfast is over. still raining. Oh well. Saddle up my love, were going for a ride, btw remember that leather jacket you wore? I suggest you put it on. I have ridden in the rain before and it probaly won't be the last so we saddle up and go. Shocking how much more scenery you notice when traveling at a reduced rate of speed. I always say a bad day motoring is better than a good day working. All things considered we had a wonderful time and the preceeding year leading up to this event was truly one of adventure.
How is your adventure? Have you taken any risk lately? Have you risked it all for the love of someone else? Do you remember that every breath is borrowed? I suggest that in a moment you be willing to risk everything you value for someone you love. Be vulnerable.
Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Love for risking it all. I hope I've made it & will continue to make it worth it. You are my Live-Action-Hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooooooooooo very happy for you guys. It is a joy to my heart to know you two are so content, peaceful and so much in love :)
    And I am soooooo sorry for missing your first anniversary. It will never happen again. I have imprinted April 16th on my love notes.
    A very Happy belated Anniversay to a wonderful couple. Love you, from both of us to both of you. xxxxoooooo

    ReplyDelete