Thursday, June 3, 2010

Who's money spends the best?

Customer #1
I have a customer in mansfield who lives in a house that is not less than a million dollar home. It occupies 2 lots facing the golf course.
IT HAS 5 AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS. FIVE OF EM!!!!! I've been doing his A/C work for 10 years and well this guy, lets call him "jack" needs an evaporator for one of his systems. He has all Trane equipment which is great stuff, expensive too. So I said "Jack", It will be $1600-$1900 for the evaporator, freon and labor. "Jack" says to me... WHAT!!!! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!! A WHOLE AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM DOESN'T COST THAT MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. So when it was finally over and after threatening to call another contractor he relented to pay. Next I get a phone call from "Jack" asking me to replace a thermostat and whats his "Jack" price. Oh God, the rush of witty comebacks were so overwhelming that I almost blacked out. Can you hear it? For a man who is willing to say anything out loud that passes thru his brain I had to practice a lot of self control. I think I pee'd myself during the phone call. So I gave him a "Jacked price" thermostat and handed him a small personal victory. All in all I left with $1,800+ of his money. Hmmmmmm....enjoy the thermostat "jack".

Customer #2
Enter Charlotte winters. Charlotte "C" responded to an add I had posted on craigslist for used air conditioners. Used A/C's, $750 installed with a 30 day warranty. I sent my tech John over on a friday night to do the install. He returns with CASH. Monday, Memorial Day came and "C" was having some issues so I told her John and I would both come over to see what the problem was. Here's the nut.
"C" told me that she had been saving for over a month to have air conditioning in her mobile home. Somebody had fired a bullet hole thru her previous A/C. A friend had put a window unit in her bedroom so she could sleep. The thing is that "C" had no bitterness about how difficult the last month had been. As a matter of fact since we did a few extra things while we were there and it was memorial day she insisted on paying. I asked her for a token payment and went on my way.

So when I got home I took "Cs" money out of the box to take another look at it. It was sooo much more attractive than "jacks" $1,800.00 check. It looked like money earned. It didn't smell like "jack" had to sell one of his race horses to give his wife air conditioning. It had the sweetness of a single woman making the best of her life in a not so kind world.

pay it forward.......please, somebody needs you

"the poor you will always have with you..."

remember that you didn't arrive where you are today by yourself....my mimi taught me that.

1 comment:

  1. Some people never get it...do they???!!!
    God Bless the little lady in the mobile home.
    Many great lessons came from our Mimi! Alot of us have really benefited from her wisdom, kindness and generousity :)
    We miss you Mimi xxxooo

    ReplyDelete